Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

AFAIK Futur I (werden + inf) isn't used in German any more. But 20 years ago I still learned it, and currently I feel somehow improper if I don't use it. I have a very bad feeling that I somehow lost the precision of what I say.

Maybe I should cease to use that as well?

My question is, how does it sound if a foreigner uses Futur I as it was done 30 years ago?

share|improve this question

There is no way around Futur if you are talking about something that will happen in the future. I speak it daily. –  Thorsten Staerk May 19 at 20:01

2 Answers 2

up vote 15 down vote accepted

It is still used. Just not as much. You need it, if there is no info about time in the sentence, when you want to emphasize your resolve, or when the present tense could be misunderstood as a general statement of habit.... which is basically because no time is indicated.

Ich werde das nicht länger dulden.

In New York werde ich sooooo shoppen gehen, ey.

I'm pretty sure, there are more instances but I can't think of them right now. For all the mundane stuff though that does contain a when-box, don't worry about precision. There is no more or less info in it. Just less redundancy.

Tomorrow (fut.) I will write (fut)...

Morgen (fut) schreibe ich (not past)...

share|improve this answer

Should we distinguish spoken and written language? I don't have hard evidence, but I think that the present form is hardly ever used for future tense in (somewhat precise) writing. –  Raphael May 19 at 18:25

@Raphael... we could, but prose is usually in past and as for documents and similar things... I think "Sie erhalten von uns dann eine kurze Eingangsbestätigung" is more common than the future 1 version. That leaves only newspapers and there I think you have a point, although we're also seeing a lot of Konjunktiv "Er sagte, er werde..." –  Emanuel May 19 at 19:55

why "Just not as much"? Aren't people talking about the future any longer? Not my observation. –  Thorsten Staerk May 19 at 20:01

@ThorstenStaerk... I am referring to the grammatical tense in comparison to 20 years ago (though I don't actually know if they really were used more) –  Emanuel May 19 at 20:03

@Thorsten In my experience in day-to-day conversations you use the future exceedingly rarely even when talking about future events. Although I find that also holds to a good degree in English and French. I'm afraid with 24 I'm too young to make much statements about use of language 20 years ago though :-) –  Voo May 19 at 21:09

It's definitely still in use and there is noting wrong with it, even though it is, perhaps, not always strictly necessary.

When you indicate a time, you can (should? not sure) use the present instead:

Morgen gehe ich einkaufen. Am Dienstag bekomme ich Besuch.

If there is no such indication, use the regular Futur. There are also cases where it would be confusing to not use it:

Ich werde immer an dich denken = I will always think of you (I won't forget you.)

Ich denke immer an dich = I am always (i.e., constantly) thinking of you.

You might also want to use it to make sure that your sentence cannot be misunderstood as a more general statement:

Im Sommer fahre ich auf (or: in) Urlaub.

This could mean both "this summer" or "every summer". "Im Sommer werde ich ... fahren" removes this ambiguity.

share|improve this answer
Nice example with the "denken"... but "auf Urlaub"? Which part of DACH are you from? –  Emanuel May 19 at 10:31
Oh never mind... just saw Austria in your profile... in Northern Germany it's "in den Urlaub" –  Emanuel May 19 at 10:32

Won't argue with that :) Added both variants to my example. –  Ingmar May 19 at 10:35
Actually in English Ich denke immer an dich would be translated as I think of you all the time - no continuous form :-) –  Thorsten Dittmar May 19 at 11:07

I've heard it both ways. How would you translate "thinking of you, always" then? Not that this isn't somewhat beside the point. –  Ingmar May 19 at 11:13

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.