Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

People say "passt scho" here all the time. Does that mean "passt so" or "passt schon"? Is there any difference between using "passt scho" and whichever of those two it means?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 12 down vote accepted

It does mean "passt schon" and is simply Bavarian dialect. The "n" is just missing.

"Passt so" is afaik only used when it comes to money (when you disclaim your change). You can use "Passt schon" in this situation, too. But not vice versa.

share|improve this answer

"passt scho" Is also used a lot in the Swiss-German part of Switzerland. –  gsharp Dec 22 '11 at 13:34

I think people use it more in Bavaria. It is "passt schon", but it is used more like "it's okay" or "everything is fine" or even sometimes "whatever"

e.g.: 1. A: Bist du krank? B: passt scho'! (means maybe he's sick or not, but it doesn't bother him) 2. A: How's your work? B: passt scho'! (it's a more positive okay) 3. A: Sorry, I'm late! B: passt scho'!

... .. .

And I always heard the bayrisch pronounce it "basst scho'!" with "B" instead of "P"

share|improve this answer

Thanks! I had never noticed the /b/; I'll be more observant next time I'm in Bavaria. –  Tim N Dec 8 '11 at 15:50

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.