Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

I see "gibt es" / "es gibt" being used in so many phrases. But I am not able to understand under what circumstances this is used? What I understand is that it cannot be directly related to English language sentence formation (i.e it gives).
For example:

Es gibt einen Stau und er ist zu spät.

(It gives traffic and he is late, which is actually: "There is a traffic and hence he is late.")

When speaking, what makes you to use "es gibt" and if anyone can give co-relation to English, it will be helpful.

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Emanuel, Robert, Ingmar, christian.s, Takkat May 28 at 6:10

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

1 Answer 1

"Is there / there is" should work the same way in English.

share|improve this answer

Most times, but you still need to consider that in English the subject is always preceding the verb except for questions. In German the word order may change more often. –  Em1 May 28 at 7:03

I was only talking about the phrase "there is" = "es gibt". Obviously the rest of the sentence needs to be grammatical as well. As to "the subject always preceding the verb, except for questions": There are no rules without exceptions (including this one). –  Ingmar May 28 at 7:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.