Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I came across the following sentence on Memrise:

Ich denke, es ist langweilig

and was confused because the verb ist does not go to end, like I thought it should.

Here is another example:

Ich glaube nicht, dass die Liga langweilig ist

Almost the same sentence, but now the verb is at the end. I trust that both sentences are correct. Is it because of dass? Or is it not so strict in modern German?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Emanuel, Ingmar, c.p., Hubert Schölnast, christian.s May 30 at 17:23

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

If you omit the subclause conjunction, it is called an "uneingeleiteter Nebensatz", and the verb order is the same as in a main clause (verb second), even though it's a subclause.

There are similar rules for conditional and concessive subclauses without conjunction, see e.g. the explanation in canoo.net

share|improve this answer

The second sentence is a secondary sentence. It is a nearly complete sentence. Leaving the "dass" builds a short for of the sentence which has another sentence order.

share|improve this answer

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.