Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Wir können zwischen uns Deutsch sprechen

Wir können uns _____ Deutsch unterhalten.

Should I use "auf" or "in" here? In English we would use "in" with a language, but here I suspect it would be "auf". Is there any case where we would use "in Deutsch"?

share|improve this question

"zwischen uns" finde ich falsch, aber man kann sagen "wir können miteinander deutsch sprechen" –  Robert May 30 at 23:25

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

Both are possible, but I think, that auf is more common than in. And that's backed by ngram.

share|improve this answer
Ich empfinde "in" als falsch. Das ngram wird deutlicher, wenn Du den Haken bei case-insensitive setzt. –  Carsten Schultz May 30 at 20:51

Das ngram wird deutlicher. Das stimmt. –  Toscho May 31 at 8:27

I would go for "auf". "Sich in Sprache X unterhalten" sounds like an awkward machine-translation from English, to be honest.

Another option would be - although it sounds a bit formal - to leave out the prepositions: "Wir können uns deutsch unterhalten." I wouldn't recommend that, though.

share|improve this answer
"deutsch unterhalten" sounds like "in a German manner", not like "using the German language". –  Carsten Schultz May 31 at 6:56

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.