Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This is a phrase often used to indicate "I don't know anything about that" or "I don't understand what happened".

I've deduced this meaning from the contexts of the many situations where I encountered it. It seems to be fairly well known throughout Germany and Austria, even occurring in children's stories.

But how did that phrase come about? What in the world does it actually refer to?! Is there some original source from which it is (mis)quoted?

share|improve this question

If you are satisfied with the answers, would you mind to accept one? (click the check button next to the answer) –  dervonnebenaan Jun 2 at 21:50

Thanks for the reminder! I thought I already had done so. –  Torben Gundtofte-Bruun Jun 3 at 5:05

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

There actually was a Mr. Hase, of course :)

share|improve this answer

Fabelhaft, herzlichen Dank! Das hatte ich nicht erwartet. –  Torben Gundtofte-Bruun May 30 at 19:39

Endlich kann ich mal als Antwort auf eine Frage einen Link zu einer Seite meiner Datenbank des nutzlosen Wissens posten: http://wissen.schoelnast.at/beitraege/beitrag_2013-11-07.html

Für alle, die meine Website nicht besuchen wollen:

Victor von Hase stand 1854/55 in Heidelberg vor Gericht, weil sein verlorener Studentenausweis einem Mörder zur Flucht verholfen hatte. Seine Aussage: »Mein Name ist Hase, ich weiß von nichts!«

share|improve this answer
Sounds like Sargent Schultz: "I know nusssSINK!". Nice website BTW. –  Marty Green Jun 2 at 3:53

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.