Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I am looking for a good German word(s) for the English "(a)lone wolf". Practically I am looking for not only a simple dictionary translation, but for a secondary/metaphorical meaning as well, if it exists.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Vogel612, Em1, Emanuel, c.p., Hubert Schölnast Jun 3 at 20:30

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Can You elaborate on what you consider the primary and secondary meaning? –  Wrzlprmft Jun 3 at 10:38
I guess the secondary meaning is not the literal meaning, so in this case lone wolf = a person who depends only on himself and is distant from the other people. –  Jagger Jun 3 at 10:58
I don't know the English "lone wolf". I don't know what you came up with when doing your research. Did you use a dictionary? I just tried 3 different dictionaries and those agree on "Einzelgänger". At least, now I know what a lone wolf is. -1 anyway. –  Em1 Jun 3 at 14:53

dict.cc/?s=lone+wolf –  Emanuel Jun 3 at 20:06

@Em1 I didn't asked for a dictionary equivalent, but for a metaphorical equivalent, which I mentioned clearly in my question. It differs mostly a lot from the simple dictionary translation (which I also could translate to f.e. "allein Wolf" or so). Although I had to at least check this in a dictionary, simply I didn't thought it could be found it them. My previous attempts to find metaphorical equivalents were mostly unsuccessful based on leo.dict/google attempts, and I though, native speakers could give much better alternatives. Maybe this explanation is enough for a vote change/hold removal? –  Peter Horvath Jun 4 at 7:40

4 Answers 4

up vote 10 down vote accepted

For the metaphorical meaning, the idiomatic term is Einzelgänger.

share|improve this answer

This is also what dict.leo says :) –  Jagger Jun 3 at 11:11

@Jagger Thanks :-) I didn't even try it. –  Peter Horvath Jun 3 at 11:59
Wiktionary lists the (imho) nice alternative "Eigenbrötler" which adds a little pinch of eccentricity if so desired. –  Raphael Jun 3 at 16:14

The literal translation “Einsamer Wolf” is something you could say in German as well.

Thank for you as well! –  Peter Horvath Jun 3 at 12:00

Not only could say, but in fact you do. And it has quite a different connotation than "Einzelgänger" (solitaire), probably exactly the same as lone wolf in English. –  Zane Jun 3 at 13:28

"Einzelkämpfer" and the similar "Einsamer Krieger" are common; they apply to non-competetive settings but do imply that the person is actually doing something (alone), as opposed to just being alone as a general rule.

Examples:

Alle sitzen in der Sonne, aber Klaus mäht den Rasen, der einsame Krieger!

Viele arbeiten lieber in Gruppen, aber Claudia ist eine Einzelkämpferin.

If you want a somewhat heavy literary allusion, there's "Steppenwolf" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steppenwolf_(novel)).

Welcome to German Language! Whilst this may theoretically answer the question, it would be preferable to include the essential parts of the answer here, and provide the link for reference. –  Vogel612 Jun 3 at 17:12

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.