Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The English sentence

He must have been killed.

can mean two things:

(1) He is now dead. It is likely that he has been killed.

(2) He is alive. He deserves to be dead, but he isn't. (similar to "he should have been killed")

How would we express each of the meanings in German? My idea is

(1) Er muss getötet worden wären.

(2) Er hätte getötet werden müssen.

Is that correct?

Related: This question

share|improve this question
Well it never means number 2, to begin with. –  emaltman Jun 4 at 5:18

Are you sure about the second meaning? "He must be killed" sounds much more appropriate. I've never heard "He must have been killed." used in the (2) meaning. –  Alex Fedulov Jun 4 at 8:52
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Using "müssen" in this capacity, i.e. expressing a likelihood, is not as established in German; I only know

muss wohl so sein

to be used in colloquial speech. What you are saying is

[I think] it's likely that he has been killed.

I would translate this as

Er wird [wohl] getötet worden sein.

or, if you don't want to introduce possible confusion with future tense,

Er ist wohl getötet worden.

"wohl" suggests the believe/likelihood here.

share|improve this answer
add comment

The first interpretation is just a variation of the more literal second one. In German it is no different. You'd use the same form.

Er muss getötet worden sein.

The obligation "muss" is in present, the "task" is in past-passive which is pretty contrived. Without further explanation most people would understand the first meaning.

add comment

My two cents:

1. Er muss getötet worden sein. (Er war ja nicht krank und offensichtlich war es auch kein Selbstmord.)

2. Er musste getötet werden. (Der arme alte Rocky war mehrmals im OP. Sein Tumor ließ ihn nicht einmahl gehen. Voll traurig.)

2. "Er musste getötet werden." sounds better. –  Alex Fedulov Jun 4 at 14:36
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.