Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm reading "Der Hobbit" and in their first encounter Bilbo and Galdalf address each other as "Ihr". I learned that it's either "du" or "Sie". Is it common to use "Ihr", in literature for instance?

Du darfst auf Deutsch antworten. Ich kann es verstehen, aber noch nicht so gut schreiben.

share|improve this question

By the way: A rather common word for this is Ihrzen in analogy to Siezen and Duzen. –  Wrzlprmft Jun 8 at 10:03

Thanks @Wrzlprmft. Does that also mean its use is more common than I would have thought? –  stevenvh Jun 8 at 10:05

@stevenh: Rather common was meant in relation to the usage of the form itself. Anyway, I do not know how common you thought it to be. Nowadays, it is only used in some dialects and if you want your language to sound archaic. –  Wrzlprmft Jun 8 at 10:10

Vielen Dank @Carsten, interessante Link. –  stevenvh Jun 8 at 10:12

2 Answers 2

up vote 3 down vote accepted

It's called Höflichkeitsform, Honorificum or Honorativ(um). "Ihr" was replaced by "Sie" in the 19th and 20th century. It sounds more formal and historically authentic so it is often used in medieval or fantastic fiction.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%B6flichkeitsform

share|improve this answer

Welcome to the site. –  Tom Au Jun 10 at 14:41

And the "Ihr" usage was retained in Yiddish for second person formal. –  Marty Green Jun 10 at 19:13

This is very close to the "pluralis majestatis" and is very common in this genre (medieval/fantasy).

And yes, it is also common for literature, especially older work.

It is a substitute for the polite salutation "Sie". It can easily be formed, as you simply express yourself as if you would talk to more than one person.

"Es gehört Ihnen." → "Es gehört Euch."

"Das glauben Sie wirklich?" → "Das glaubt Ihr wirklich?"

There is also a duden-article on this: Link

share|improve this answer
Thanks. But if it's close to pluralis majestatis shouldn't it be with a capital letter: "Es gehört Euch" and "Das glaubt Ihr wirklich"? That's how it is in the book anyway. ("Das glauben Sie" must be with a capital "S" in any case.) –  stevenvh Jun 8 at 9:46
It's not really "pluralis majestatis", it's just an old polite form of addressing somebody. In English this form (second person plural, "you") has actually replaced the older form ("thou"). In German there was no replacement, but the polite form in use has shifted to the third person plural ("Sie"). And capitalizing the pronouns in German as a sign of respect can be found for all pronounces (except "ich", maybe, which OTOH is always capitalized in English). –  dirkt Jun 8 at 10:41

It should be noted that Pluralis Majestatis is not used in modern days, and was only used among peers or "upwards" (afaik). Why Gandalf would use the form addressing Bilbo, I don't know (may be quirk of his, or maybe just shoddy translation). –  Raphael Jun 8 at 11:18

sorry, I did not say it IS pluralis majestatis - it is, in my opinion, only related –  christian.s Jun 8 at 12:22

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.