Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

From Georg Kreisler's Der General:

Die erste ist verheiratet, ich glaub, mit a Chauffeur.
Die zweite ist sogar mit einem Doktor.
Der wird sie einmal heiraten -- so sogt er.
(laughter from the audience)

Is this a pun between sagt and sogt? If so what's funny about sogt? If not, where is the pun?

I realise that I'm not going to find the explained pun very fun, but then I'll at least be able to laugh with good conscience.

share|improve this question
I love your questions! –  Jan Jun 10 '11 at 10:13
Quote starts here: youtube.com/watch?v=vdxuEbA6-rU&t=2m47s –  splattne Jun 10 '11 at 11:38

Für die, die nicht so gut Englisch können: Pun bedeutet Wortspiel. –  user unknown Feb 3 '12 at 17:52

4 Answers 4

up vote 13 down vote accepted

That's not a pun, just Viennese dialect for "sagt" (as Kreisler was a popular singer and comedian from Vienna).

The funny part of that line is that the doctor will probably never marry that girl - instead, he'll move on to the next girl and promise marriage to her.

share|improve this answer

This. The pun probably works in every culture on the planet. :) –  Pekka 웃 Jun 10 '11 at 9:47
Aha! I was convinced that it was liposuction-related. –  Tim Jun 10 '11 at 9:50
@Tim lol, nope. I think that line is way too old for anything liposuction-related :-) –  Jan Jun 10 '11 at 9:52

"So sogt er" sounds to the south of Germany.

I would explain it different. "Der wird sie einmal heiraten" is first a statement that this doctor will really marry. The sentence "so sogt er" is to introduce a restriction in the narrator's skepticism - he will never marry her.

There's nothing specifically funny about sogt, that's just the accent (he chose to use for this song).

The joke is in how he delivers the line: chatty, not sung, somewhat too easygoing. The doctor says he has plans to marry the girl, but the way he is delivering that line implies that it's not a very high priority and the doctor is probably skipping over the subject whenever asked.

Jaja, ich werd sie schon heiraten, keine Sorge...

Which implies that it's probably not going to happen.

Also, it produces a rhyme:

... Doktor

... sogt er

The High German variant does not rhyme:

... Doktor

... sagt er

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.