Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

My dictionary translates "curious (inquisitive)" to "neugierig". There are two kinds of inquisitive curiosity, though: the temporary, pressing desire to find something out, and the long-term characteristic to seek knowledge.

Does "neugierig" fit as a translation in both of the following examples?

Please tell me! I'm so curious.

Bob has been reading Wikipedia for hours. He's a very curious boy.

Which kind of curiosity is understood in this example?

-- Ich habe dir ein Phykologiebuch gekauft.
-- Was für ein Buch? Ich bin so neugierig!

share|improve this question

Danke, @bernd und @pekka. –  Tim Jun 10 '11 at 13:48

Do you study biologie? If not, you rarely know the word Phykologie and speak of ein Buch über Algen. I had to look it up. de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phykologie –  bernd_k Jun 10 '11 at 13:58

Do you mean the "Was für ein Buch" in the sense "I have no idea what Phykologie is"? Then to me, "Ich bin so neugierig" sounds a bit awkward; I'd rather say "Jetzt bin ich aber neugierig". –  Hendrik Vogt Jun 10 '11 at 14:00

@bernd: I think this is by intention; see my previous comment :-) –  Hendrik Vogt Jun 10 '11 at 14:01
When speaking, make sure you spell Phykologie. ;-) –  splattne Jun 10 '11 at 14:20

2 Answers 2

up vote 17 down vote accepted

Does "neugierig" fit as a translation in both of the following examples?

It does. Leo's translations have the full bandwidth:

• curious adj.
  • inquiring esp AE / enquiring esp BE adj.
  • inquisitive adj.
  • nosy also: nosey adj.
  • prying adj.
  • snoopy adj.

"Neugierig" fits for all of these. In some contexts, it can carry a slightly negative connotation (when used like "nosey"/"prying"), but it doesn't by default.

The most fitting translation for "inquisitive" (which is more of a life-long characteristic) is "wissbegierig" (Literally, "greedy/eager for knowledge", but with no negative connotation at all.)

share|improve this answer

Thanks. In the latter example, is it understood that the speaker is curious about the book or curious about things in general? –  Tim Jun 10 '11 at 13:42
@Tim it is crystal clear that the speaker is curious about the book, like in the english example. –  Pekka 웃 Jun 10 '11 at 13:42
+1 for wissbegierig. –  Hendrik Vogt Jun 10 '11 at 13:42
Ein Alternative ist auch wissensdurstig –  Takkat Jun 10 '11 at 14:35

It is used for both:

As a temporary attitude towards a specific thing/event:

Die ganze, wochenlange Geheimnistuerei hat mich neugierig gemacht.

As a personality trait:

Er war immer schon ein neugieriger Mensch.

The personality trait 'openness' of the so called big 5 includes to a certain extent curiosity. The big 5 are known to be very stable personality factors (traits).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.