Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm writing a book, and I made a rule for myself, to name every chapter in German (not that I knew German really well). So trying to name a chapter, I've found that in German there are several words, meaning homeland, motherland and so on. I'd like to know which of them is most close for country, where a country of origin, but not "motherland" in spiritual meaning of this word.

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 12 down vote accepted

I support Ingmar's suggestion. Here's a list which I tried to order from - let's say - non-neutral to neutral.

1. Vaterland: may sound a bit lofty and/or patriotic

2. Heimatland: This also is usually considered the country of origin. Someone may, however, adopt a country as Heimatland where he's not born in, because he now considers it his (new) Heimat. Also Heimat alone is a wide term and can be used to denote the native land. There is e. g. an entire genre of movies named Heimatfilm.

3. Ursprungsland: This is literally country of origin.

4. Herkunftsland: Probably a bit more sober than Ursprung. Ursprung can have something profound in it.

5. Geburtsland: Well, it's the country you've been born in. It may have slightly technical connotation.

The latter three hardly have a particular connotation.

share|improve this answer

Thanks a lot. That's what I needed. –  Alissa Jun 9 at 21:18
Well, in fact Vaterland even sounds etymologically patriotic, doesn't it? ;-) –  Christian Rau Jun 10 at 0:12

Note that in 2. through 4. and maybe 5. one may substitute land by staat or other municipalities such as stadt and ort. Urpsrung is usually confined to a geographical and unmediated meaning, whereas Herkunft may relate more to ancestry. In certain contexts, but not here, Nation may also work. –  Crissov Jun 12 at 12:02

The most common choice is probably Vaterland although Heimatland might work as well.

Thanks, but that's what can easily be found in any dictionary. But as I said, I need the word which means "land of origin", and not "land I live and love". The question is more about right choice than translation itself. –  Alissa Jun 9 at 19:16

I am afraid I really can't give you a different answer. By default, use Vaterland. You don't have to love it or identify much with it, it's still your fatherland. –  Ingmar Jun 9 at 20:52

The terms of Ingmar are correct.

Alternatives: land of origin you can use Heimat. See the translations to some languages in the link.

You also can use Mutterland, which bears a colonial connotation or means also land of origin as explained in this example:

Das Mutterland des Taekwondo ist Korea

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.