I'm writing a book, and I made a rule for myself, to name every chapter in German (not that I knew German really well). So trying to name a chapter, I've found that in German there are several words, meaning homeland, motherland and so on. I'd like to know which of them is most close for country, where a country of origin, but not "motherland" in spiritual meaning of this word.

3 Answers 3

I support Ingmar's suggestion. Here's a list which I tried to order from - let's say - non-neutral to neutral.

1. Vaterland: may sound a bit lofty and/or patriotic

2. Heimatland: This also is usually considered the country of origin. Someone may, however, adopt a country as Heimatland where he's not born in, because he now considers it his (new) Heimat. Also Heimat alone is a wide term and can be used to denote the native land. There is e. g. an entire genre of movies named Heimatfilm.

3. Ursprungsland: This is literally country of origin.

4. Herkunftsland: Probably a bit more sober than Ursprung. Ursprung can have something profound in it.

5. Geburtsland: Well, it's the country you've been born in. It may have slightly technical connotation.

The latter three hardly have a particular connotation.

Well, in fact Vaterland even sounds etymologically patriotic, doesn't it? ;-) Jun 10, 2014 at 0:12
    Note that in 2. through 4. and maybe 5. one may substitute land by staat or other municipalities such as stadt and ort. Urpsrung is usually confined to a geographical and unmediated meaning, whereas Herkunft may relate more to ancestry. In certain contexts, but not here, Nation may also work.
    – Crissov
    Jun 12, 2014 at 12:02

The most common choice is probably Vaterland although Heimatland might work as well.

• Thanks, but that's what can easily be found in any dictionary. But as I said, I need the word which means "land of origin", and not "land I live and love". The question is more about right choice than translation itself.
    – Alissa
    Jun 9, 2014 at 19:16
    I am afraid I really can't give you a different answer. By default, use Vaterland. You don't have to love it or identify much with it, it's still your fatherland.
    – Ingmar
    Jun 9, 2014 at 20:52

The terms of Ingmar are correct.

Alternatives: land of origin you can use Heimat. See the translations to some languages in the link.

You also can use Mutterland, which bears a colonial connotation or means also land of origin as explained in this example:

Das Mutterland des Taekwondo ist Korea

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.