Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I saw this text while playing Pokemon in German. The phrase was used by a girl who had just come out of a cave.

share|improve this question
It is usage of the "Erikativ" or "Inflektiv" - see german.stackexchange.com/questions/7054/… –  Takkat Jun 13 at 21:44
Oh, I see. So it means that the girl is breathing with difficulty, right? –  user7606 Jun 13 at 21:49
@user7606 Exactly. Comic-style way of expressing that the character is struggling to regain her breath/breathing heavily. –  Hulk Jun 13 at 21:55
the wiki article about the Inflektiv is in German only –  embert Jun 14 at 4:20
@embert: why not translate the essential parts to make it an answer here (or in the Q I linked to above)? An english refererence on Erikativ/Indikativ would be great for the site. –  Takkat Jun 14 at 7:32

1 Answer 1

those are terms to express that someone is out of breath, mostly after running (away).

Hecheln = panting
Keuchen = gasping

share|improve this answer

Welcome to the site. I removed your sig, as signatures and greetings are against StackExchange policy. (I know it's more polite, but that's how it is) –  stevenvh Jun 15 at 9:04

I am not allowed to be polite O.o ooooookay... Thanks for the info. –  Exportforce Jun 15 at 9:12

These words are frequently used in comics, made famous by Don Martin of MAD magazine. –  Robert Jun 16 at 15:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.