Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was on the phone today with a German. But I couldn't find the name of these in German:

# *

I tried to find out with Google but I haven't found. Could someone tell me what they are called?

share|improve this question
Tip: you could search for an article in the english Wikipedia and then switch to the article in another language on the left hand side: Menu entry Languages. –  try-catch-finally Jun 16 at 10:00
add comment

4 Answers 4

It seems that Doppelkreuz is the official German name for #. Most people will probably use Raute or Rautenzeichen instead though.

The name of * is as before mentioned Stern, Sternchen or Asterisk.

Taken from Wikipedia:

enter image description here

share|improve this answer

Care to explain the downvote? –  Baz Jun 16 at 19:50
add comment

# = Oktothorp (offiziell) oder Rautenzeichen
* = Asterisk (offiziell) oder Sternchen

Die offiziellen Benennungen sind nicht so bekannt, so dass man besser von Rautenzeichen und Sternchen sprechen sollte. (Offiziell heißt offiziell im Allgemeinen. Ich glaube man braucht keinen separaten Standard für Telefonie, sowie man auch keine separaten Wörter für diese Symbolen für Computer hat.)

(Ich kenne eine Sekretärin, die statt Rautenzeichen Waffeleisen sagte; das versteht man doch auch! :-) )

Ich kenn noch Gatter –  Portree Kid Jun 16 at 9:27
@PortreeKid - Ja, das sagt man auf Niederländisch auch ("hekje") –  stevenvh Jun 16 at 9:35

Dass man in der Typographie von "Asterisk" spricht ist richtig, aber hier irrelavent. Die ITU sagt (E161, Arrangement of digits, letters and symbols... ) * will be known as the star or the equivalent term in other languages und # may be referred to as the square or the most commonly used equivalent term in other languages. ... [A]n alternative term (e.g. "hash" or "number sign") may be necessary ... in which case it is useful ... to recommend a preferred term for consistent use nationally." Ich kennen keinen "recommended term" für Deutsch; auch und gerade nicht Oktothorp. –  Ingmar Jun 16 at 9:45
@user3723159 Never call it "Oktothorp", no one (maybe except linguists) will know what it means. Raute, Doppelkreuz or even Hash (if you're talking to technicans) are perfect. Asterisk might be well known; Stern or Sternchen is perfect. –  try-catch-finally Jun 16 at 9:56
Hast Du einen Beleg dafür, dass dies die offiziellen Namen sind? –  Carsten Schultz Jun 16 at 22:39
show 1 more comment

Ich kenne dafür die Namen:

• Raute
  • Quadrat
  • Nummernzeichen

und etwas abwegiger:

• Waffeleisen
  • Lattenzaun
  • Gartenzaun
  • Kanalgitter

Für Aterisk gibt es bisher nur "Stern(chen)"

add comment

There is no official name that I am aware of. Many people, myself included, call it Stern (or Sternchen, perhaps) and Raute. I have never heard either Oktothorp nor Asterisk in German.

Well, the Oktothorp and the Asterisk are the official names. It's not because you never hear them that they don't exist. –  stevenvh Jun 16 at 8:30

Possible, but I'm not prepared to take your word for it. Back it up, please. –  Ingmar Jun 16 at 8:42
Of course it exists. I am just not convinced that it's the "official German name" used in this context (i.e. telephone and telecommunications). –  Ingmar Jun 16 at 9:06
@ingmar: if you doubt anything you don't know, but somebody else does, then you'll have a lot to doubt! –  Johan.A Jun 16 at 9:28
In the context of phone key pads, "Raute" and "Stern" are clearly the most commonly used words for these symbols. –  jarnbjo Jun 16 at 11:36
show 5 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.