Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I think these two sentences have the same meaning, but which one should I use and why?

share|improve this question

The sentence "Ich weiß nicht" is colloquial but IMO not complete since it's missing an object. It should read "Ich weiß es nicht". es or Das (in your case) referring to the question (its subject) that someone has been asked for. –  try-catch-finally Jun 21 at 19:44
I don't think it's missing an object. It's missing an indirect question which is left out as it is totally clear from the context. –  Max Ried Jun 23 at 7:38
Maybe to reconsider which should be the right answer, wouldn't be a bad idea. –  c.p. Jun 23 at 14:07

Done. For me, both answers are satisfactory. Danke ciem & Hulk :) –  Jean-Baptiste Martin Jun 23 at 14:46

2 Answers 2

up vote 11 down vote accepted

The phrase

Ich weiß nicht.

is used in colloquial language to express uncertainty, doubt and disagreement, usually when asked for an opinion on something.

For example, I wouldn't be surprised to witness the following dialogue:

(Two girls in a shop)

A: Was hältst du von diesem Kleid?

B: Ich weiß nicht... - (thinks about it briefly) - Wenn du das nimmst, brauchst du jedenfalls auch passende Schuhe.

It is basically used as a filler in spoken language, much like a doubtful "Hm", to give the speaker a bit of time to think about how to phrase her doubts. Used like this, it is almost always followed by a pause and a more detailed explanation of the cause of the uncertainty.

The meaning depends a lot on context and tone of voice as well as facial expressions etc.

The phrase

Das weiß ich nicht.

means that the speaker actually does not know some fact.

A: Hat C seine Prüfung gestern bestanden?

B: Das weiß ich nicht, ich habe seither noch nicht mit ihm gesprochen.

As always when it comes to spoken language, the boundaries are a bit blurry and there are almost certainly regional differences.

share|improve this answer

Ich weiß nicht.

means literally I don't know. IMHO it's simply not much used like this. It sounds to me a lot like a foreigner studying German. The common phrase for that would be

Ich weiß es nicht.

You can use this exactly as you'd use I don't know in English.

About the phrase:

Das weiß ich nicht.

It literally means "I don't know that," emphasizing that you don't know this specific fact you were talking/asked about.

It's very common in German to change the word order such that the part that you'd like to emphasize is in the first place.

A phrase that I use very often to express I don't know in German is

Keine Ahnung.

share|improve this answer
Of course "ich weiß nicht" is used. I am German and I use it. –  addy2012 Jun 22 at 11:43
@addy2012: I edited the comment so the statement is softer and it's clearer, that it's my opinion. But to be honest, I actually paid a lot of attention to it and never heard "Ich weiß nicht" used like that. People always added something to the phrase, either "Ich weiß nicht, ob ..." or maybe just "Ich weiß nicht, vielleicht kannst es so oder so machen" (replace the second part of the sentence by whatever you want). But never just as an independent statment, which he seemed to ask about. Hulk used an example like that as well, btw. And I'm German, too (: –  ciem Jun 23 at 14:27

"Ich weiß es nicht." kinda has an aggressive connotation, like "I don't know and stop asking me". "(Ich) weiß nicht" is a normal colloquial term. –  Kay Jun 24 at 5:10

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.