Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In light of the highly regular pluralization in English, compound phrases are instinctively pluralized by likewise adding an s. For example, a parent might say to a child, "I'm really sick of hearing your constant I-didn't-do-its!" I have seen this sort of hyphenated compound construction in German in the translations of the Harry Potter books; e.g., du-weißt-schon-wer for you-know-who. But this is, of course, singular. Given the irregularity of German pluralization, how, in general are similar compounds made plural?

share|improve this question
+s is the fallback plural morph. It’s employed for xenisms, acronyms and can usually be applied here, too. Phrasal compounds aren’t that idiomatic in German, though. –  Crissov Jun 26 at 23:39
add comment

3 Answers 3

I would do it just the same way as in english: pluralize the last part of the compound:

Ich habe genug von deinen "Ich-wars-nicht"s!

Du-weisst-schon-wers

But i actually never hear it. Germans do not use such constructions too often. Instead, a paraphrase is used:

Ich habe genug von deinen Ausreden!

share|improve this answer
I wouldn't do it. I would use singular. "Ich hab genug von deinem ewigen Ich-war-es-nicht." –  Em1 Jun 26 at 10:35
add comment

I don't think there is one way, that will always work, but let me suggest how I would translate your example using a compound:

Ich habe genug von deinen dauernden Ich-war-es-nicht.

Compare it to

Ich habe genug von deinem dauernden Ich-war-es-nicht.

deinen shows the following is plural, while deinem shows singular. This works here, but could fail for other hyphenated compunds.

As @marstato said, Germans would probably use a paraphrase here.

add comment

I think that such phrases with hyphens are used seldom. The thing I just remember is: Hanns Guck-in-die-Luft (Struwwelpeter), but then it is a replacement for a name and not a quotation used as a noun. I would write it just with quotes and without hyphens:

Ich habe genug von deinem ständigen "Ich war es nicht".

In this case I would prefer singular.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.