Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm translating some song lyrics to English from here.

Und wenn du mich da draußen grade hörst
Dann bitte warte kurz auf mich, ich bin direkt bereit und fahr los
Doch wenn nicht, gehe ich einsam ins Bett
Und hoff' dass ich gleich wieder penn'

At the end of the song, the abbreviated word penn' is used. What is it short for and what does it mean?

I looked for what I expected to be the longer version "pennen" on a couple German to English sites, but only found "kip" as the translation. The answer provided, which is that "pennen" is interchangable with "schlafen" was a great help and also provided me with a dictionary resource to use in the future.

share|improve this question

To close voters: It is not to be expected that we will find an entry for penn in a dictionary. Do we really want a disclaimer "Folks I looked in this and that dictionary but my word is not listed" on each and every word request? If you don't want to see any of these questions at all please discuss this on Meta. meta.german.stackexchange.com/questions/698/… –  Takkat Jun 29 at 6:19
I explained why I asked this question here and could not find the answer myself. –  tannman357 Jun 29 at 11:19
Ah, your dictionaries were not completely wrong, but also not very helpful. –  Carsten Schultz Jun 29 at 12:20

1 Answer 1

up vote 11 down vote accepted

This is a short form for pennen (Ich penn' ↔ Ich penne) and means schlafen.

It's also at dict.cc.

Concerning etymology, it's origin is vague. From dwds.de:

pennen Vb. ‘schlafen’, umgangssprachlich (19. Jh.) aus der Gaunersprache; vielleicht zu jidd. pannai ‘müßig’, hebr. penaj ‘(freie) Zeit’, eigentl. ‘Zeit zur Muße’, wenn nicht besser Ableitung von ²Penne f. ‘Kneipe, schlechte Herberge, Schlafstelle’ (Anfang 19. Jh.), älter Benne (Mitte 18. Jh.); aus der Gaunersprache, vgl. Bonne ‘ein Haus, wo Spitzbuben ein und aus gehen’ (Ende 17. Jh.); auch stille Penne ‘Gefängnis, Zuchthaus’ (dieses nach zigeunerisch štilepen ‘Gefängnis’ ?). Vielleicht zu jidd. bono ‘er hat gebaut’, binjan ‘Bau, Gebäude’ (hebr. binjāh, binjān). Dazu Pennbruder m. ‘Landstreicher’ (Ende 19. Jh.) und Penner m. ‘Landstreicher, Schlafmütze’ (Anfang 20. Jh.).

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.