Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

In English you can abbreviate time, such as 3 days 7 hours 30 minutes as 3d 7h 30m.

My question is, is there a German equivalent? Would 3t 7s 30m make sense or could it still be confusing as the German word for seconds also starts with an s?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

Yes, this would be confusing, as nobody uses it. The German abbreviations are the same as the English ones, as they derive from Latin (dies, hora, pars minuta prima, pars minuta secunda).

So you could abbreviate:

3 d 7 h 30 m

Note that despite such abbrevations being used, they are not as common in German as in English (at least in my experience). In German longer abbrevations such as Std, Min. and Sek. are more common. For Tag, I have seen T. and Tg. If brevity is of the essence, usually a format like 3:07:30 d is employed or less units are used such as 3,3 Tg. or 79,5 h.

share|improve this answer

Well, you'd never use 3:12:10:00 in a normal context. This notation is only used in logs... –  Armin Jul 16 at 18:22

Also, I've never seen decimal days (0,2 Tage). –  Ingmar Jul 16 at 18:22
@Armin: It is not very common, but so is giving such precise time periods in general. Anyway, here is a non-log example. –  Wrzlprmft Jul 16 at 19:51

@Ingmar: Here is an example. Admittedly, when giving time spans of a few days more precisely than a day, usually hours are chosen as units. (Again, longer time spans are rarely given in that precision.) –  Wrzlprmft Jul 16 at 20:03

Im wissenschaftlichen Kontext (zB Halbwertszeiten) kommt "Dezimalzahl d" vor. –  Grantwalzer Jul 16 at 21:50

Normally you can use h for hours as well but the German abbreviation would be Std. Also normally you'd rather see min instead of m for minutes. And s and sek are equally teated for seconds... I've never seen an abbreviation for days but t would be understood.

Is h acceptable because of the implied English that Germans are used to? –  Johannes Jul 16 at 18:16
Ich kenne Tg. als Abkürzung für Tage. –  Vogel612 Jul 16 at 18:17
@Johannes no because of the Latin word hora which means hour –  Armin Jul 16 at 18:19

@Vogel612 wie gesagt, ich hatte bisher wenige Texte, die Tage abgekürzt haben... –  Armin Jul 16 at 18:19

@Armin Ich lebe in Amerika deshalb sehe ich nie Deutsche Texte :( –  Johannes Jul 16 at 18:29

Short answer

don't use s for Stunden, use h instead. For the rest you can be pretty flexible.

Longer answer

h= Stunde m= minute s= sekunde

I have checked http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhrzeit but it does not give any abbreviations for days.

3T 2Std 45min 8sec

or

3T 2h45m8s (without dots)

or

3Tg. 2Std. 45min. 8sek. (with dots)

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.