Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This fragment comes from the text about the KaDeWe:

Umgekehrt prägen Berliner Luft, Pariser Duft und das besondere Flair der Metropole das Image unseres Hauses.

Source: "Direkt", LektorKlett

I don’t understand the phrase umgekehrt prägen, and I can’t see the connection between the things mentioned.

share|improve this question
Or maybe the previous sentence said something like "Das KaDeWe prägt mit seiner ausgefallenen Architektur das Stadtbild ..."? –  Hagen von Eitzen Jul 23 at 12:47
What is the sentence before? It may be relevant. Possible German synonyms include: "hingegen", "andererseits". –  Raphael Jul 23 at 21:30

1 Answer 1

up vote 6 down vote accepted

"Umgekehrt" normally refers to a text previous to your sentence and is simlilar to "Im Gegensatz dazu" (by contrast). So you need the prior sentence:

Das KaDeWe gehört zu Berlin wie das Brandenburger Tor, die Gedächtniskirche und der Fernsehturm. Umgekehrt prägen Berliner Luft, Pariser Duft und das besondere Flair der Metropole das Image unseres Hauses.

This means that on the one hand the KaDeWe is a landmark of Berlin and on the other hand Berlins characteristic traits influence the image of the KaDeWe.

In this case "Umgekehrt" is more like "vice versa" or "reversely", because both (Berlin and KaDeWe) influence each other (in both directions).

share|improve this answer

In other words, the "umgekehrt" refers to the fact that KaDeWe : Berlin = Berliner Luft etc. : KaDeWe –  Hagen von Eitzen Jul 23 at 12:48
But "Pariser Duft" is a trait that belongs just to the KaDeWe and not to Berlin, right? –  user8986 Jul 23 at 13:26

No. In the meaning of this sentence it belongs to the metropolis. But it's an advertising text. I don't think that Pariser Duft is a typical trait of Berlin. –  hellcode Jul 23 at 13:31
Are you sure it's not referring to the parfumes being sold inside? Additionally I would suggest "on the other hand/side" or "reversely" as a translation. –  Grantwalzer Jul 23 at 14:52

@Carlster: ok, Pariser Duft is probably meant solely independent and not necessarily bound to metropolis/Berlin in this enumeration. But then it is still influencing the image, in the meaning of something from outside is affecting the KaDeWe (irrespective of that they allude to the parfumes inside as a "consequence"). I added "reversely" to the answer. Thank you. –  hellcode Jul 23 at 19:00

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.