Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

This question already has an answer here:

In Reich-Ranickis Für alle Fragen offen lese ich, dass Nabokov "1977 verstarb".
Ist das ein respektvoller Ausdruck für "starb", oder liegt da eine andere Nuance vor?

share|improve this question

marked as duplicate by Wrzlprmft, Takkat Jul 25 at 13:28

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Thanks, @Wrzlprmft: your link is indeed quite interesting . I'll leave my question open in case someone has something to add . By the way, how exactly is your name pronounced? (I too am often asked that question) –  Georges Elencwajg Jul 25 at 12:42

If someone has something to add, the linked question is the correct place for this. We do not want information to be fragmented. –  Wrzlprmft Jul 25 at 13:04

2 Answers 2

up vote 1 down vote accepted

According to the Spiegel "versterben" is more formal and graceful. (See http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/zwiebelfisch/zwiebelfisch-abc-verstorben-gestorben-a-344430.html)

share|improve this answer

Thanks for the link, Tobias. –  Georges Elencwajg Jul 25 at 14:07

I concur with Tobias.

In reverse order of Formality:

Verrecken

Abkratzen

Den Geist aufgeben.

Sterben

Versterben

Verscheiden

share|improve this answer

Eine sehr interessante Steigerung, danke! –  Georges Elencwajg Jul 25 at 14:10

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.