Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I cant seem to read exactly what this says. I am recreating a headstone that was originally made out of white marble in 1888. It has deteriorated badly. I have figured out everything except this last word. The line begins with "Betet für die" and then this word pictured. I am reasonably sure that it begins with an uppercase S.I simply can't figure out what this poor woman wanted us to pray for! Please help if possible - i'm at my wits end!enter image description here

Entire stone photo included. The line i'm needing is the tiniest one at the bottom. I've deciphered all the rest of the stone and only need the very last word on it. enter image description here

share|improve this question
Please display the rest of the headstone. The shape of the known letters can help in recognizing the unknown ones. (Cryptographically speaking, you're posing a ciphertext-only problem, but a known-plaintext problem is easier to solve.) –  Kilian Foth Jul 25 at 14:14

Stone added, though it's relatively unhelpful as the text style and size suggest that the last line was added later on. –  Jessica Jul 25 at 14:24

Not at this time, though i'm 99.9% sure that is what it says. Those words, at least, survived the test of time. –  Jessica Jul 25 at 14:33

1 Answer 1

up vote 12 down vote accepted

I suggest the last word is

Seelenruhe

that is "rest/silence of the soul".

share|improve this answer

I'm sorry, but I have to: +1. –  Grantwalzer Jul 25 at 14:33

you are amazing!! Thank you thank you thank you!! –  Jessica Jul 25 at 14:33

I was in the process of looking for words containing "ruhe" as I touched on the whole peace and rest thing. –  Jessica Jul 25 at 14:35
The total last line I guess reads "Betet für die Seelenruhe" although it looks more like "Hotel für die Seelenruhe" or "Hetzt für die Seelenruhe", but both of the latter don't really make sense to me. –  celtschk Jul 25 at 15:46

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.