Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I have added a "call me back" form to our website but I'm thinking it might better to translate "call me back" into German. On the other hand I don't think "rufen Sie mich zurück" would be a nice way to translate this phrase.

1. Should I stick with "call me back",
  2. change it to "rufen Sie mich zurück" or
  3. use something completely different?
share|improve this question
Just a hint: please change "Nahme" to "Name" in your form (btw: nice website) –  hellcode Jul 27 at 20:34
And another one: "Wir rufen Ihnen auch gerne zurück" must be "Wir rufen Sie auch gerne zurück" –  Karma Fusebox Jul 28 at 0:31

Inwiefern willst Du Leute zurückrufen, nach dem sie Kontakt über die Webseite aufgebaut haben? Zurückrufen unterstellt, dass der vorige Kontakt auch ein Anrufen war. "Rufen Sie mich an" erscheint mir viel logischer und "Call me back" schon im Englischen falsch. –  user unknown Jul 29 at 4:36

2 Answers 2

up vote 5 down vote accepted

I would suggest "Wir rufen Sie zurück" for the title as well (not "Ihnen", by the way).

share|improve this answer
Definitely. This sounds like a promise; imperatives sound more as if they are directed towards the user (in German). –  Raphael Jul 27 at 21:39
and add a comma: ", wenn Sie hier Ihre ..." –  nn4l Jul 28 at 5:49

The "zurück" could also be replaced by "an": Since there was no call in the one direction, the "zurück" lacks some justification. –  guidot Jul 28 at 9:59

If I mean "you" as one single person, like "hey you, call me back" then "Ruf mich zurück" or "Rufen Sie mich zurück"(the formal verson) is correct. If I want a group of people or a company in general to call me back it would be "Ruft mich zurück" or "Rufen sie mich zurück" as formal version, notice the "s" typed as small letter. But none of these variations looks or sounds good in german.

Maybe just "Rückrufwunsch"? "Wir rufen Sie zurück", answered by Ingmar is a good idea. Sounds good and trustfully. Or even "Wir rufen Sie gerne zurück" if you want to say hat you really pleased to call s.o. back.

I wouldn't stick with "call me back" as single English sentence on a German site.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.