Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I need some help/sources for grammar exercises regarding personal pronouns.
I don't know when to use Ihnen, ihr, ihrem, ihm and so on.

For example:

Ich habe Sie angerufen, um zu fragen, ob Sie Anstellung von Personal machen?

Is the first "Sie" correct?

share|improve this question
Your question is very general and the use of personal pronouns is documented very well on the Internet. Try reading the full article and then maybe you can come back with a more specific question. –  Grantwalzer Jul 28 at 13:43

Although if you do not have any access to German grammar explained in your native language, I will be happy to help. –  Grantwalzer Jul 28 at 13:47

Ok tank you...in my example "Ich habe Sie angerufen, um zu fragen, ob Sie Anstellung von Personal machen?" Is it correct the first "Sie" ?? thanks :) –  Timeea Augustin Jul 28 at 13:51

The first part of your sentence is correct. In order to keep a good portion of your sentence, I would do it so: Ich habe Sie angerufen, um zu fragen, ob Sie Personal einstellen. –  hellcode Jul 28 at 13:51
You can take the tour. –  Grantwalzer Jul 28 at 13:57

1 Answer 1

up vote 1 down vote accepted

Personal pronouns like proper nouns follow the same inflection rules, as is nicely summarized in a table here: canoonet: Personal Pronouns

The polite form in adressing people actually is the 3rd person form capitalized. The same inflection rules apply.

Now we have to learn by heart which grammatical case goes with any verb. There are no generally valid rules for this. For anrufen it would be the accusative:

Ich rufe Sie (accustive) an.

The example you gave with anrufen is a nice example of inconsistent rules. The correct grammatical case is accusative case but you will also hear the dative in southern regions of Germany and in Switzerland (wrong: "Ich rufe Ihnen an").

With a verb taking another grammatical case (e.g. zustimmen taking the dative) you'd say:

Ich stimme Ihnen (dative) zu.

Also see the following related questions:

share|improve this answer

I think "zuhören" requires dative. For comparison: Ich höre seiner zu. In this case (and the previous) "Ihr/Ihrer" is a possessive pronoun (accusative/dative). –  Grantwalzer Jul 28 at 18:12

@Carlster Nun ja - ich frage nach wessen Vorlesung und nicht nach wem seine... aber mit dem Possesivpronomen hast Du natürlich recht. Vielleicht verwirrt das nur (von Antwort gelöscht). –  Takkat Jul 28 at 18:30

"Seiner" soll in meinem Gegenbeispiel der Genitiv von "er" sein. –  Grantwalzer Jul 28 at 18:39

Geeignete Beispiele gehen mit Verben einher, die den Genitiv verlangen, wie zB "gedenken". –  Grantwalzer Jul 28 at 18:42

Richtig ist: Ich höre ihm zu. Hier sieht man, dass "zuhören" mit dem Dativ kommt. Unpraktischerweise sind für weibliche Sachen der 2. & 3. Fall des Pos.pron. "Ihr" gleich. –  Grantwalzer Jul 28 at 18:51

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.