Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Last week I had an appointment with a notary public. How can I say it?

Ich habe den Termin beim Notar am 28. Juli.

I feel this sentence is not correct.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

Your sentence uses the present tense, often used to refer to a future event:

I have an appointment on July 28.

If you want to express an event in the past, use something like

Ich hatte den Termin beim Notar am 28. Juli.

or simply

Der Termin beim Notar war am 28. Juli.

share|improve this answer

or the more idiomatic versions where the date is not at the end. –  Emanuel Jul 30 at 9:41

Why would that be more idiomatic? It all depends on what part of the sentence you want to stress. There's nothing wrong with "Ich hatte am 28. Juli einen Termin", but it's in no way more correct or idiomatic than the other variants. –  Ingmar Jul 30 at 10:10

Well, the default version has the date not at the end. Putting it there places special emphasis on the date. Why is it not at the end per default? Because "haben" gets complemented by a direct object, not a time. Maybe "idiomatic" is not the best choice of words, but since OP seems to be asking about structure specifically, I think you should at least mention the different options for word order. –  Emanuel Jul 30 at 10:14

There is a "default version"? I never knew. Putting the date at the end carries no special meaning in my opinion. YMMV. –  Ingmar Jul 30 at 10:23

YMMV?... so you don't see any difference between "Ich habe am 28. den Termin beim Notar." and "Ich habe den Termin beim Notar am 28."? –  Emanuel Jul 30 at 10:30

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.