Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I was wondering about the options for saying

That sounds good to me

or just

Sounds good

in German.

I initially thought something along the lines of "Das klingt mir gut" oder "Das hört mir gut", but I am unsure if either of these make good sense in German.

I found "Klingt gut" and "Das hört sich gut an" on dict.cc. Are there any other possibilities?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

Many phrases of subjective mood or sensation use a dative construction with "mir" in German whereas English uses different idioms:

Mir geht's gut. - I'm fine.

Mir gefällt das. - I like that.

Mir scheint... - It seems to me...

Er sieht mir aus wie... - To me, he looks like...

Das klingt mir nach... - To me, that sounds like...

Furthermore, you can say something along the lines:

Das klingt mir nach einem schönen Lied. - That sounds like a nice song to me.

Das klingt mir zu harsch. - That sounds too harsh to me.

Nonetheless, in your case no dative with "mir" is used. With a pure adjective, without "zu" (too) and without the noun the "that" is sounding like, there is no "mir":

Ich finde, das klingt gut./Das klingt gut! - That sounds good (to me).

Ich finde, das hört sich gut an. /Das hört sich gut an! - That sounds good (to me).

Instead of "sich anhören" and "klingen" in some parts of the German speaking world "tönen" is used; but as far as I know, no "mir" is used in a sentence like "Das tönt gut.", either.

share|improve this answer

Assuming you meant "sounds good" as the affirmative to someone's questions, both "Klingt gut" and "Das hört sich gut an" are perfectly fine.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.