Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I noticed that people sometimes use fuchzehn and fuchzig instead of fünfzehn and fünfzig. Is there a certain reason or is this just dialect?

share|improve this question
IMHO fuchzehn and fuchzig should not be in this dictionary. –  Franz Ebner Aug 5 at 13:18
I have never heard that. We sometimes use "fuffzehn" and "fuffzig" in common speech (and "Nullachtfuffzehn"). –  hellcode Aug 5 at 14:53
@FranzEbner Why not? It is denoted as dialect. –  Grantwalzer Aug 5 at 15:10
@Carlster What would happen, if everyone would add his own dialect words? This would end in a total mess, unusable. –  Franz Ebner Aug 5 at 16:18
These words are used in several Austrian and Bavarian dialects. I can definitely confirm they are used here (Niederösterreich/Wien). –  Hulk Aug 6 at 6:58

2 Answers 2

up vote 0 down vote accepted

It's just dialect. Only "fünfzehn" and "fünfzig" are correct.

share|improve this answer

Ich kenne nur fuffzig und fuffzehn (Dialekt), nicht "fuchzig" oder "fuchzehn".

share|improve this answer

In Dialekten gibt es bekanntlich keine standardisierte Schreibweise oder Aussprache. Ich kenne jedenfalls beide Varianten. –  Ingmar Aug 8 at 10:10

"fuchzehn" und "fuchzig" kommen in österreichischen Dialekten vor. –  ammoQ Aug 8 at 11:20

Im bairischen auch. –  SAnderka Aug 8 at 11:52

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.