Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I recently came across the expression:

Es ist noch kein Meister vom Himmel gefallen

There's still no master [that has] fallen from the sky

I'm curious about the es ist part, which I understood as "it is", but here seems to work more like "es gibt".

How would you translate the literal meaning here?

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 13 down vote accepted

Perhaps you understand it rephrased like this:

Noch kein Meister ist vom Himmel gefallen.

While this is not the idiomatic wording, it says exactly the same. If you know some German, you'll recognize "ist" as a present-perfect auxiliary: "ist gefallen" as in "has fallen".

"Es" ist an expletive here (German/English Wikipedia). That's basically a word that is only there for syntactic reasons and bears no meaning. As such, it's very similar to the "es" in "es gibt".

An attempt at a literal translation of the phrase:

No master has yet fallen from the sky.

share|improve this answer

The explanation of the expletive pronoun really helps, thanks. As a native English speaker I use it all the time, and yet it confused me here in German. –  Martin Aug 6 at 15:13
Maybe it's nitpicking but this "es" is not exactly the same as in "es gibt". This can be seen by reversing the order. "Es gibt in Berlin Bäume." "Bäume gibt es in Berlin." vs. "Es ist jemand gefallen" vs. "Jemand ist gefallen." The "es" in the first example is an expletive as per definition of English. It takes a grammatical role (here, the subject). The one in the second does NOT have the subject-role, nor is it an object. It is really just a filler that fills slot 1. –  Emanuel Aug 6 at 20:01

@Emanuel I guess you're right. I've always found analysis of expletives confusing. Would you agree to call it similar? –  elena Aug 7 at 8:35

Definitely...... –  Emanuel Aug 7 at 9:16

Thanks for your input, @Emanuel! –  elena Aug 8 at 11:56

The "figurative" meaning is: "Masters are made, not born."

The "literal" meaning is, "There still aren't any masters that have fallen from the sky."

I don't know if i understand your question right,

I would translate it like this:

"There is still no master fallen from the sky."

You could use "es gibt". But then it would be like:

"Es gibt noch keinen Meister, der vom Himmel gefallen ist."

Just confused about the es ist bit – I guess es ist can mean both there is and it is? Are there other examples that start es ist... that have the literal meaning there is...? –  Martin Aug 6 at 11:46
@Martin: Not to my knowledge. es ist kalt, es ist spät, es ist nicht gut, …, es ist einfach are very common examples but none of them would be translated with there is. Of course, this doesn’t mean that there aren’t phrases that might be translated (amongst others) with there is: es ist nicht möglich, zu entkommen: literally it’s not possible to escape but I imagine you can also say there is no way to escape / there is no escape / there is no escaping. –  tflo Aug 6 at 12:39

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.