Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Context:

Do you wish the Constitution Council's proposals to form the basis of a new draft Constitution?

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_constitutional_referendum,_2012

I know that Constitution is "Verfassung", but how do you translate "Constitution Council"?

share|improve this question

German answers are ok for me, I am German. –  moose Aug 12 at 2:07
What is the Icelandic name for this council? Does it provide any hints? I guess the English name is just a translation itself, isn't it? –  Hulk Aug 12 at 5:48

The most recent vaguely analog thing in Germany was called Parlamentarischer Rat. Before that, there was a Verfassungskonvent (composed of experts, not elected representatives). Not sure if it helps. –  Relaxed Aug 12 at 9:36

It could be: Nationalrat, Verfassungsgericht, Verfassungsgerichtshof, Ratsversammlung. –  Andie2302 Aug 13 at 16:05

3 Answers 3

up vote 3 down vote accepted

A literal translation would be

Verfassungsrat

share|improve this answer
I don't think that is a good translation. I think it has to be something like "Verfassungsgebende Versammlung" oder "Verfassungsgebnde Vollversammlung". But I am not too sure about it. –  moose Aug 12 at 2:13

@moose Well, that's what a "Rat" does (or can do). "Versammlung" would translate to assembly, which is used, too, but seemingly represents something else. And to use "verfassungsgebend" as an adjective for the Council might be misleading, since it has "completed its task" and "closed its office". –  Grantwalzer Aug 12 at 2:32
I second this translation. Verfassungsrat in German is about as precise as Constiutional Council in English (or Conseil Constitutionel in French, for that matter, which does exist.) "Verfassungsgebende Versammlung" would be more than a translation: it's an explanation. –  Ingmar Aug 12 at 3:09

de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verfassungsrat I'm with @moose, except for the Voll. –  Carsten Schultz Aug 12 at 7:44

It depends on the exact body, though. Der fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conseil_constitutionnel_(France) ist nicht verfassungsgebend, im Gegensatz zur fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/…. –  Carsten Schultz Aug 12 at 7:53

I remember "verfassungsgebende Versammlung".

I think the word, that you are looking for is "Verfassungsreferendum" or simply "Volksabstimmung"

Poster asks for the name of the group creating a constitution draft, not for the process to follow for acceptance. –  guidot Aug 14 at 7:57

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.