Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

How would you translate this quote?

The difference between the impossible and possible lies in a person's determination

You can translate it to this:

Der Unterschied zwischen dem Unmöglichen und dem Möglichen liegt in der Entschlossenheit einer Person.

or maybe this:

Der Unterschied zwischen dem Unmöglichen und dem Möglichen liegt in der Festlegung des Einzelnen.

What would you say?

share|improve this question

2 Answers 2

up vote 2 down vote accepted

Nice work, apart from your first translation I'd go for

Der Unterschied zwischen dem Unmöglichen und dem Möglichen liegt in der Entschlossenheit des Einzelnen.

although that is obviously not gendered, so if that's required:

Der Unterschied zwischen dem Unmöglichen und dem Möglichen liegt in der Entschlossenheit der jeweiligen Person.

share|improve this answer

Just in case. –  Grantwalzer Aug 12 at 11:50

+1 I like the first one. It sounds "natural" and keeps the reference to an individual. –  Matthias Aug 12 at 11:52

Thanks. But would you say that "determination" can only mean "willpower" in this case or could it also mean "everyone has his own reality and thinks some things are possible and some not" -> Festlegung ? –  Basti Aug 12 at 11:58

I wouldn't say it's the only interpretation, but I certainly saw the aspect of willpower first. –  Grantwalzer Aug 12 at 12:02

Ok. Thanks a lot :) –  Basti Aug 12 at 12:03

Rather the first one. I would allow a bit more freedom and say it this way:

Ob etwas möglich oder unmöglich ist, ist eine Frage der Entschlossenheit.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.