Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

What's the idiomatic German for to subject to severe and persistent cross-examination or questioning?

jemanden massiv ins Kreuzfeuer nehmen

jemanden scharf verhören

share|improve this question

I am sorry about my question: I am not sure if that is idiomatically correct –  Sunny Clocks Aug 15 at 4:00

1 Answer 1

First of all, cross-examination is Kreuzverhör in German, not Kreuzfeuer (cross fire). That said, it depends on the situation: a Verhör is something that the police does, questioning a person who "helps them with their inquiries". A Kreuzverhör, on the other hand, is something that happens in court under some legal systems. If that's what you mean, I'd suggest:

jemanden intensiv befragen; ins Kreuzverhör nehmen; einem scharfen und ausdauernden Kreuzverhör unterziehen.

share|improve this answer

Was ist ein dauerndes Kreuzverhör? Wenn schon dann langandauernd, oder vielleicht ausgiebig. Und warum severe = umfassend? –  Ingmar Aug 15 at 5:35

andauernd iSv "lang andauernd" meinte ich auch. Umfassend würde besser zu extensive etc. passen. Severe hat finde ich das Problem, dass es eine leicht negative Konnotation hat, die kommt zwar bei "scharf" mit, aber ich finde auch nicht zu 100%. Alles in allem kommt der Kommentar oben weg, weil in der Tat nicht gut ist. –  Mark Aug 15 at 5:43

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.