Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

While playing Pokémon in German, I came across a few attack names (usually with the -er ending) that I wasn't able to find in the dictionary. In the English version of the game these names just seem to be normal nouns/verbs.

Of what words/morphemes are these attack names composed? Do they mean exactly the same thing in German as in English?

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

X-er normally means "someone doing X" (backen -> Bäcker etc.), but is here used for the action itself.

• Fuchtler < fuchteln "to brandish, to wave about". Close enough, "Prügler" would have been too strong.
  • Einigler < ein-igeln "to curl up like a hedgehog". Pretty good translation, as "to curl" is difficult to translate.
  • Walzer < walzen "to roll, to steamroll, to flatten". Also a pretty good translation.
  • Lockduft < locken "to lure, to tempt" + Duft "scent". "Süßduft" would have sounded awkward, so it's a good alternative
  • Abgangsbund < abgehen "to leave -> to kick the bucket" + Bund (same word as English "bond", but different usage). A direct translation would have been "Schicksalsbund", but the translator chose to illustrate the mechanics of the move.

So they are all not literal translations, but good choices.

share|improve this answer

Worth a look for other ways in which -er builds nouns –  Milchgesicht Aug 16 at 18:40

Is "fuchteln" like hitting repeatedly the enemy with your waving arms/tentacles? –  user9224 Aug 16 at 19:49
@user9224: It's like waving arms/tentacles a lot. "To flail" is also a good translation. The hitting is more or less accidental. I don't know how the actual attacks look like. –  dirkt Aug 17 at 5:55

+1 for Einigler, I never understood what it meant :D –  Pasoe Aug 18 at 12:44

A »Fuchtel« is a short sword ("broadsword" in english). With this weapon you can make very quick movements that confuses your opponent. This is why the german verb "fuchteln" means "making fast movements with your hands that seem to have no sense". And "Hans steht unter Annas Fuchtel" means that Hans has to do everything what Anna wants, because it is her who (in a figurative sense) carries the sword to oppress Hans. –  Hubert Schölnast Aug 20 at 12:31

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.