Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Was ist der Unterschied zwischen überlassen und verlassen? Ist die Bedeutung von überlassen wie surrender im Englischen und von verlassen wie leave sommething behind?

Die Frage ist mir bei folgendem Satz aus Heideggers Die Sprache aufgekommen:

Der Sprache überlassen wir das Sprechen.

Ich habe mich gefragt, warum er überlassen und nicht verlassen schreibt.

share|improve this question
Inwiefern hat dir das Wörterbuch nicht weitergeholfen? –  Grantwalzer Aug 22 at 20:44
Please consider merging your unregistered with your registered account: german.stackexchange.com/help/merging-accounts –  Takkat Aug 23 at 9:04

2 Answers 2

überlassen takes two objects:

jemandem (=Dativ) etwas/jemanden (=Akkusativ) überlassen

It means to leave something/somebody to someone. Überlassen can be used if something is left out of surrender/capitulation (Die Burg wurde den Angreifern überlassen) or if you grant someone something (Ich habe den letzten Schokoriegel meiner Schwester überlassen).

verlassen only takes one object:

etwas/jemanden (=Akkusativ) verlassen

It means to leave something/someone (physically); to go away. For example the Schokoriegel is left to my sister, but I do not leave it physically. I sit there besides it on the couch the whole time until it is eaten :-)

There are some cases where you could use both. For example you leave the castle to the invaders (überlassen) by leaving it (verlassen). But you do not leave the chocolate bar to your sister (überlassen) by leaving it (verlassen).

share|improve this answer
Don't forget: Es verlassen ihn die Kräfte. or: Er ist von allen guten Geistern verlassen. –  Andie2302 Aug 22 at 21:10

No need to forget them^^: They are a figurative use of "etwas/jemanden verlassen". Die Kräfte verlassen ihn. = They go away. Die guten Geister verlassen ihn. = They go away. –  Chris Aug 22 at 21:14

What about: Das Haus ist verlassen? –  Andie2302 Aug 22 at 21:29

That's a passive construction (Zustandspassiv): "Jemand verlässt das Haus(=Akk.)."(=going away aspect). "Das Haus (=Nom.) ist verlassen." The same in passive without acting person. -- Maybe I don't get your point and what you miss in my answer. :-) –  Chris Aug 22 at 21:41

The verb "überlassen" means to "leave" to, in the sense of leave something to someone. "Verlassen" means to leave (go away) from (somewhere).

They both use the verb "lassen" (leave), but otherwise have very different, almost opposite meanings.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.