Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Some people I have to do with frequently call music that plays in radio "Weichspülmusik", like

Diese Weichspülmusik möchte ich jetzt nicht hören.

I always wonder what that means. Can anyone please clarify?

share|improve this question
Softrock, but without Rock. –  user unknown Feb 20 '12 at 6:52

3 Answers 3

up vote 10 down vote accepted

In German "Weichspüler" is a fabric conditioner. In TV commercials they always have a very smooth and soft music to underline the softness of fabric after being treated with their product.

Here is an example for this.

Whenever people refer to "Weichspülmusik" they mean this kind of mainstream but very soft music. Another saying for similar music is "Kaufhausmusik" (music being played in shopping centers to make people buy more) and "Fahrstuhlmusik" (elevator music).

share|improve this answer
There's a wonderful term for "Kaufhausmusik" and especially "Fahrstuhlmusik" in English: Muzak. –  Jürgen A. Erhard Jun 26 '11 at 1:32

Sehr lehrreich, vielen Dank. Und jetzt kenne ich den Weichspüler "Lenor"![Wahrscheinlich wird er in Frankreich unter einem anderen Namen verkauft...] –  Georges Elencwajg Jun 26 '11 at 7:53

"Muzak" is a related english term. –  Joachim Sauer Jun 27 '11 at 6:17
Muzak is a trademark. Elevator music is the most common non-trademark term for this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak_Holdings –  hippietrail Jun 27 '11 at 7:46
I already heard Janis Joplin in a Supermarket. –  user unknown Jun 27 '11 at 20:50

Manchmal meinen die Leute allerdings auch, dass die Musik etwas unterschwellig vermittelt (Brain-Wash).

The word literally means "fluffy music".

A Google search doesn't reveal anything explicit, but it looks to me like it refers to cheap, happy, pop music with little substance but high sales value. Think X Factor exports.

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.