In learning prepositions, here is my attempt to use "jenseits".

Jenseits der Gedanken, brummt Wissenheit.

The English version I have in mind is "On the other side of thought, wisdom hums".

I have attempted a straight translation, so happy to use a better construction that captures the nuance better.

Thanks in advance!

A few things: 1. No comma in German after preposition+noun. 2. wisdom in German is Weisheit. 3. to hum can be translated as summen, as well. 4. What is the intended meaning of On the other side of thought, wisdom hums.?
    – Chris
    Oct 11, 2014 at 17:28
  • @Chris Thanks for the feedback and corrections. The sentence is my attempt in taking a similar Sufi saying and "playing" with it from a language learning standpoint. The meaning for me: Don't think too much, be in the present. Oct 11, 2014 at 18:28
  • I think your sentence alone would not meet much understanding with Germans. And I think that jenseits is becoming rare in spoken language apart from some fixed formulas.
    – rogermue
    Oct 13, 2014 at 4:30

2 Answers 2

I believe your translation is pretty straight forward. To try to translate it differently might add complications that are not necessary and could eventually even cloud the meaning of what you try to say. The only correction I have is to remove the comma. Unless I am mistaken, in German you wouldn't put a comma there (see here: http://www.duden.de/sprachwissen/rechtschreibregeln/komma).

'Jenseits' can also mean 'beyond': 'Jenseits von Gut und Böse' => "Beyond Good and Evil', so I'd go with "beyond thought, wisdom hums" for your translation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.