A 'v' in the beginning of a word can be pronounced in one of two ways:

• /f/: Vater, verrückt, vier, Vogel.
  • /v/: Vanille, Verb, Villa, Vokal, vulgär.

My question: Is there a way to know how a word should be pronounced without looking it up?

Bonus question: Wiktionary has a lot of ver-words transcribed with /v/, e.g. verleben, vergammelt, vernetzen. Are they pronounced like that in some dialect?

I couldn't come up with a /f/-word that begins in "vu" or "vi" (but not in "vie"), but would love to have such an example if there is one.
    – Tim
    Jun 25, 2011 at 21:22
    vulgär, Vulkan, both /v/ (foreign origin). Words beginning with "vi" only are all of foreign origin and pronounced /v/. Words beginning with "vie" are most likely of Germanic origin, vier, Vieh, viel.
    – teylyn
    Jun 25, 2011 at 23:46
  • Many Bavarians pronounce all of the vs as /f/. Some (like me) do it for comedic effect. ‘Oh, das sind schöne Blumen, ich hol mal eine *Fase’ works like a charm in giving people confused looks.
    – Jan
    Sep 9, 2016 at 21:48

3 Answers 3

In most cases (and true for your examples):

• Germanic words are pronounced /f/.
  • Loan-words (especially Latin) are pronounced /v/.

In particular, true German words starting with "ver-" are pronounced /f/, but not "Verdikt", say.

True German words starting with "ver-" are pronounced /f/, not /v/.
    – teylyn
    Jun 25, 2011 at 23:47
  • I think this is another example of a difference most people wouldn't notice. At least for myself I can say I've never noticed that "Vater" and "Vanille" start with a different sound. It's much the same as the different "S"s, I think.
    – ladybug
    Jun 27, 2011 at 8:50

The letter V is pronounced /f/ except for words of foreign origin.

Vanille, Verb, Villa, Vulgär, Vulkan, Vase

I never heard a German dialect that uses /v/ for words like ver(-)gammelt. I have lived in the west and north of Germany and in Berlin.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.