German Language Stack Exchange is a bilingual question and answer site for speakers of all levels who want to share and increase their knowledge of the German language. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

What would Germans call what the English call the Thirty Years War — both formally and informally?

share|improve this question
up vote 14 down vote accepted

This would translate almost literally in

Dreißigjähriger Krieg

that is used both colloquial, and in a formal setting. However some historians scientifically disagree with this term.

share|improve this answer
it's still the only word I know, both formally and informally. +1 – Pekka 웃 Jun 30 '11 at 23:17
Why do some historians disagree on the name? – Tim Jul 1 '11 at 6:35
@Tim N: as far as I understood (I'm no historian) the notion that it was only one war is historically incorrect. There were several different wars as in this 30 years period of time. – Takkat Jul 1 '11 at 6:44

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.