Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I'm looking for a form of the verb sich ausgehen in the past sense, close to the meaning of

We didn't make it (because of time constraints) yesterday anymore.

I was wondering if I could say something like

Es hat sich gestern nicht mehr (zeitlich) ausgegangen.

Is that correct / should one rather use sein like they write in the dictionary or is this formulation completely wrong and there is a better one?

share|improve this question
"Es geht sich aus" is an Austrian colloquial expression (according to Duden: duden.de/rechtschreibung/ausgehen ) –  splattne Jul 5 '11 at 14:13

@splattne sehr hilfreicher Kommentar - ich dachte schon ich verstehe meine eigene Sprache nicht –  mbx Jul 7 '11 at 8:57

austrian.stackexchange.com? :) –  Jules Feb 3 '12 at 10:22
add comment

3 Answers 3

up vote 11 down vote accepted

The correct form is

Es ist sich gestern nicht mehr ausgegangen.

But note that this is very colloquial and probably not understood outside of Bavaria and Austria.

share|improve this answer

somehow that sounded strange to me, but seems the grammar book is right :) i live in austria so it's more than ok if it's understood here ;) –  Thomas Wanner Jul 5 '11 at 9:47
I've never heard "sich ausgehen" in my life. What is that supposed to mean? –  ladybug Jul 5 '11 at 11:11
add comment

I'd translate using "ausreichen":

We didn't make it (because of time constraints) yesterday anymore.

Es hat gestern (zeitlich) leider nicht mehr gereicht

but even that's more spoken than written language.

Wir haben es leider gestern nicht mehr geschafft

is probably most correct.

If you were to translate it with "ausreichen", then I'd make the time explicit: "Die Zeit hat gestern leider nicht mehr gereicht." "Es hat nicht gereicht" sounds very strange to me. –  Joachim Sauer Jul 5 '11 at 13:52
add comment

"sich ausgehen"

this phrase doesn't exist in german.

neither the answer of Stefan Walter is correct.

lsiten to pilif he is absolutely right!

The phrase definitely exists, even if its now known everywhere. –  Joachim Sauer Jul 5 '11 at 13:53

according to Duden: "Es geht sich aus: österreichisch umgangssprachlich für es reicht gerade." –  splattne Jul 5 '11 at 14:11
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.