Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

The word "Anstrich" is used in different contexts. Here I'm refering to a stroke beginning the sketch of a character. This stroke is not part of the character but often used when it comes to handwriting. What word is used express "Anstrich" in that context?

Note As mentioned by splattne: without context the most common meaning of the word is "paint/paintwork/coat of paint" (noun).

share|improve this question

I vote to close, since you know the german meaning, but search for an english word, which is off topic, imho. I used this post on meta as an example –  user unknown Jul 14 '11 at 13:35
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

I would go with "upstroke". But use the terms with some caution: A quick Google search shows that this term is indeed used, but that some writers feel the need to specify that it's not any kind of stroke heading upwards, but indeed the stroke at the very beginning of a word or letter. Some examples:

Others again simply write "upstroke" without feeling the need to specify that it is actually the "Anstrich" which is being referred to.

Edit: "Upstroke" and "downstroke" have other related meanings as well; it is used in conducting, guitar playing and painting as well.

share|improve this answer

upstroke sounds good - can you provide a source for downstroke in that context? –  mbx Jul 13 '11 at 13:52

@mbx: You're right "downstroke" is not used specifically for the first stroke of a word or letter. I'll correct it. Thanks for the comment! –  Stovner Jul 13 '11 at 17:45
add comment

I think

upstroke

is the right word in this context. Dictionary: here.

In this glossary page there's this definition of Aufstrich (= Anstrich):

Beim Schreibvorgang eine nach oben gezogene Linie eines Buchstabens.

Note: without context the most common meaning of the word is "paint/paintwork/coat of paint" (noun).

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.