Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I got confused by using both bis and zu there,

Why it's "bis zum nächsten Mal"?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers

up vote 7 down vote accepted

Some prepositions are used in combination with others. The construction bis zu is used with Dativ (3rd grammar case).

Bis zum (= contraction of zu and dem) nächsten Mal.

There are examples for combined prepositions in English too:

up to, as far as, due to, as for, ...

share|improve this answer

I see, and the confusion is more cause of the English expression "till next time". the translation would be something like "till to the next time" sounds odd to my ears. –  user508 Jul 17 '11 at 13:54

@Gigili: To me, "Bis zu dem nächsten Mal" sounds almost as odd as "till to the next time". Only with the contraction "zum" it sounds natural. –  Hendrik Vogt Jul 17 '11 at 13:57
This might be obvious, but note that "bis nächstes Mal" is also valid. –  miracle2k Aug 8 '11 at 0:36
add comment

Why it's "bis zum nächsten Mal"?

As mentioned by splattne some prepositions are used in combination and zum is a contraction of zu dem. Additionally it's worth to mention that:

If two prepositions are used in combination before a substantive or pronoun, the second one determines the case.

2) Wenn zwei Präpositionen hintereinander vor einem Substantiv oder Pronomen stehen, so regiert nur die zweite den Kasus der Bezugswörter:
bis zu ihrem Zimmer, abseits von den Besuchern, je nach dem Angebot, zu je zehn Stück
http://www.linse.uni-due.de/linse/esel/pdf/praepositionen_verwendung.pdf

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.