Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

There are alot free, shareware, open source, proprietary programs/apps & online services with bad - medium (IMHO, often sounds robotic and not spoken fluently) quality. Esp. the quality differences for different languages are high. Some german sites offer already "news reader button", but imho no HAL (2001 Space Odyssey) quality ;)

Maybe some here own licences of more expensive or tested occupationally several TTS programs. Whats your best buy/download tip for German?

Please name only good-high quality software (no robotic voice, fluent reading)

Please give at least a link to software, runnnig platforms/OS, rough price.

PS: @ mods, i made 2 questions as speech recognition and synthesis are fundamental different and most software focuses only on one of both, same as in music synthesizer & analysis software (e.g. Melodyne high quality music analysis software without any synthesis capabilites)

share|improve this question

I still think this would have been better as a single question. –  Joachim Sauer Jul 18 '11 at 6:21
Text to speech readers are different to text recognition. I think it's a good idea to have them in a separate question. –  Takkat Jul 18 '11 at 8:24
@Takkat: I know that they are technically quite different, but they are related enough to be discussed usefully in a single question. –  Joachim Sauer Jul 18 '11 at 10:00
the problem with one question is besides loosing overview what TTS & recognition software is: how can other vote for a software recommended in an answer that they would recommmend too. The state of the art and leading companies for speech recognition and synthesis are not the same, as the algorithms are fundamental different. I really want people here to vote for the best high-quality software for German. So a answer should recommend ONE software, so this gets basically a poll –  Hauser Jul 18 '11 at 11:07
I think it should be a CW question. –  user508 Jul 18 '11 at 14:58
show 1 more comment

closed as off topic by bernd_k, RegDwight Jul 26 '11 at 21:21

Questions on German Language Stack Exchange are expected to relate to German language within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.