Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is it "Wunsch", "Wille" or something else?

The context is an original poem. Both the English and German text are mine.

Wo ist sie, die eine (or jemand)?
Die so "schön, und starke sei. (Konjunktiv)
Die den Wunsch/Wille und die Fähigkeit
Hatte meine Sehnsuchten zu erfüllen..

Where is she, the someone?
So beautiful, yet strong as well.
Who has the will and ability,
My (deepest) longings to fulfill.

share|improve this question

1 Answer 1

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Indeed both, "Wunsch", and "Wille" would be correct translations in the context of your poem.

Both seem not to be perfect in this rather romantic setting, where synonyms like "Bedürfnis", "Drang", "Sehnsucht", "Verlangen" or even in a poetical sense "Durst" may be more emotional.

In my suggestion below I chose "Lust" but as it is a bit weaker than will this may be open to the poet's intention.

Wo ist sie, die Eine,
die so schön, und doch so stark ist?
Die Lust hat und auch Kraft,
meine Sehnsucht zu stillen.

In case a rhyme is wanted we may put it like this:

Wo ist sie, die Eine,
schön und stark wie keine?
Die Kraft hat und Willen,
meine Sehnsucht zu stillen.

share|improve this answer

I deliberately used the Konjuntiv SEI to rhyme with eine, and likewise, "Faehigkeit." Are either of them wrong? –  Tom Au Jul 18 '11 at 14:26

ah! I see - let us rhyme then. I'll add sth in a minute - loses much of poetry in my humble try... –  Takkat Jul 18 '11 at 14:29
@Takkat: +1, What a lovely poem, the second one. –  user508 Jul 18 '11 at 14:49

@Takkat: @Gilgili: I have a confession to make. I wrote my English and German lyrics to a FRENCH melody: Gilbert Becaud's "Quand On Est Seul," –  Tom Au Jul 18 '11 at 15:00

'Wille' klingt für mich doch zu berechnend und vernünftig. 'Wunsch' erscheint mir in Herzensangelegenheiten viel besser. Auch die 'Kraft' irritiert mich. Wieso Kraft? Ist der Autor so ein Scheusal? –  user unknown Jul 19 '11 at 2:27

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.