Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Here seems to be a neat site. I like the real samples from (I assuming) real Germans...or at least people fluent in German.

But I'm always concerned with learning a new language from a system that is wrong in how they teach.

Opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

share|improve this question
This question is a little vague for this site. Try specifying exactly what you want opinions of. For example: "Does the pronunciation sound native?" or "Are the texts written in colloquial or formal language? Are the texts correct?" –  Stovner Jul 21 '11 at 8:19

Related. –  user508 Jul 21 '11 at 10:15
add comment

1 Answer 1

I don't know much about didacts, especially teaching foreign languages. But i'm not sure whether there's really a "system" behind that site. It mainly offers translations, some sort of "language in context / in action". This makes it easier for someone who already has some acquaintance with the foreign language to broaden his/her knowledge regarding vocabulary and formulations.

But grammar seems to lack completely. The focus of that site is vocabulary and "multimedia" learning, seeing and listening a certain word or phrase in different situations and circumstances. This may aid vocabulary memorization, but i fear the learner will stick to that phrases if that site is his only resource.

So, IMO it's a neat site to complement a systematic training, but not to substitute it.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.