Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I remember the proverb as something like, "Ein Spass in der Hand (versus) Ein Vögel, am Dach."

Or something like a sparrow in hand versus a bird on the roof.

The best support I could find was this link about something on the head (versus) a Spass.

I'm using a "mapping algorithm" that says that a roof may serve a similar function to a head (in being on top).

So I'm a bit confused about something in hand being compared to something on "top," as opposed to in the bush.

And a LOT more confused about the one-to-one relationship between a sparrow in hand, and the bird, or whatever, wherever.

share|improve this question
If you like Heinz Erhardt, the correct version is "Lieber 'ne Stumme im Bett als eine Taube auf dem Dach." –  OregonGhost Jul 25 '11 at 16:28
add comment

1 Answer 1

up vote 15 down vote accepted

"Ein Spatz in der Hand ist besser als eine Taube auf dem Dach."

It means a small thing you have for sure is better than hoping for a big thing you might get (but probably won't).

"Spatz" is a sparrow, a smaller bird than a dove ("Taube").

share|improve this answer

A dove is a small bird also. But I remember Taube as being a different, perhaps larger bird. –  Tom Au Jul 21 '11 at 21:53

It seems doves are very variable in size. Here in Germany the standard ones are substantially bigger than a sparrow, the bigger ones are the size of small chickens ("Ringeltaube"). –  starblue Jul 21 '11 at 22:01

Here, doves are much bigger than sparrows, not comparable really. –  user508 Jul 21 '11 at 22:06
Pigeons/doves can also be eaten - and they were served as food in the times this saying originates. –  Takkat Jul 22 '11 at 6:25
OK, it's a PIGEON (rather than a dove) that is much larger than a sparrow. And while English compares one bird to TWO birds, German compares a SMALL bird to a BIG(ger) bird. –  Tom Au Jul 22 '11 at 13:08
show 4 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.