Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

german female version of Stelzbock someone told me would be Flittchen - Hussy (eng). Is there an appropriate translation? Imo, Macho and Gigolo doesn't match , to less animal-like and more a lifestyle. Male hussy or manwhore seem quite common, but are more abusing women as a group than a single man if you think about it :)

There seem to be a lot slang words describing sexual behaviour of women, but much less for men. Should be quite the opposite ;) Are the more political gender correct cusses concerning sexual behaviour for men in German? Or is this phenomenon a relict of our mostly patriarchal social history, that there are generally more cusses (not only sexual-related) for women? Are there studies viewing this discrimation of women via language. Makes me think of Hexe too, what's the male analogon?

share|improve this question
What about "lecher"? –  Stefan Walter Jul 22 '11 at 13:04

@Stefan lecher-wüstling imo that doesnt match well. Wüstling for me is someone not normal developed sexually, maybe with a fetish(?) Stelzbock i would translate to somebody actively dating and looking for women but lacking good behaviour? I dont really know a god analog, manwhore seems correct but derived from the female cuss... –  Hauser Jul 23 '11 at 14:32

I'm a bit confused now. From your question it seems that English is your mother tongue (or at least a language you know better than German), yet you try to understand the meaning of "lecher" by looking at the German translation from some dictionary. If you know the meaning of the German word, this question should be on English SE, shouldn't it? –  Stefan Walter Jul 23 '11 at 14:53
@stefan this site is about Q&A, not people, i try to forumalte questions so that they seem interesting & helping not only for me personally. This should be the goal imho of a BETA........ On topic: Do you think Wüstling and Stelzbock match? A Wüstling looks much more out of control to me ;) He dont has to have a intention of dating women, imo fine but crucial distinction –  Hauser Jul 23 '11 at 15:13

I don't think they match. "Stelzbock" is not a word I or people I know normally use. So I could be wrong. But to me "Stelzbock" has the narrower meaning of an older man who tries to get sexual favors from young women through money, trickery or mental pressure. –  Stefan Walter Jul 23 '11 at 16:54
show 1 more comment

2 Answers

up vote 5 down vote accepted

Other words could be:

• Schürzenjäger
  • Weiberheld
  • Frauenheld (similar to Weiberheld)
  • Casanova: this was actually a man that had many sexual relationships. But we use his name to call someone (in a more positive than negative way) who behaves like Casanova did.

Duden also suggests Charmeur, Ladykiller, Weiberer and Womanizer as synonyms for Frauenheld.

share|improve this answer

Now that I read this again I might have understood the question wrong. –  Veitch Jul 23 '11 at 13:34

thx. You answered partly, but im still very interested why there are no original cusses for men, but mostly derivations of female ones. That really surprised me. Imo womanizer is good but more meaning someone who could have any woman. A Stelzbock doesnt have to be very successful ;) and mostly will not be :) Also Stelzbock is a cuss imo but FrauenHELD of course not. –  Hauser Jul 23 '11 at 14:37
add comment

The issue was not which gender's behavior was "looser," or worse, but which gender's behavior was less TOLERATED.

A woman can bear a child by her "man" even if he is seeing other woman. On the other hand, only one man can produce a child with a given woman at one time. Therefore, a woman's "misbehavior" infringed on her mate's rights far more than his behavior would infringe on hers.

Which is why men were always obsessed with the behavior, good or otherwise, of women. And women much less so with men.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.