Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I saw a poster with this text:

So wären es Träume nur gewesen?

The subject seems to be "es", not "Träume". Why is the Konjunktiv plural? I'd write:

So wäre es Träume nur gewesen?

share|improve this question
It's from "Don Carlos" it's ancient German. The Konjunktiv is nowadays used in indirect speech to disassociate from a message. To Topic: You have to know the context - always in German, the context is important, in Don Carlos:Carlos: "Du sprichst von **Zeiten**, die vergangen sind. **Auch mir hat einst von einem Carl geträumt[...] – O, der Einfall War kindisch, aber göttlich schön!** Vorbei Sind **diese Träume**." – Marquis:"Träume, Prinz? – So wären **Es** Träume nur gewesen?" es for Zeiten & former ideals and actions of Carlos. –  infinitesimalLeanne Jul 31 '11 at 14:18

so "sie" for plural of "es" is not applicable. Sorry the first source was in ancient font. I've read it again and realized my first answer was wrong. –  infinitesimalLeanne Jul 31 '11 at 14:21

2 Answers 2

The "real" subject in this sentence is "die Träume". The pronoun "es" is just a "dummy" word. It's easier to understand if you simplify the sentence and change the word order:

Die Träume sind es.

This structure is called "Prädikatsnominativ", "Gleichsetzungsnominativ" or "Nominativobjekt" in German grammar. You can only use it with following verbs:

• sein
  • werden
  • heißen
  • scheinen (zu sein)
  • bleiben
  • gelten (als)
  • (sich) fühlen (als)
  • (sich) dünken (als)
  • (sich) erweisen (als)
  • (sich) entpuppen (als)
  • sich glauben (als)
share|improve this answer

Finally I can answer again:

So wären es Träume nur gewesen?

It is a quotation from Schillers "Don Carlos" in ancient German (follow the link for the passage).

The "Konjunktiv" is nowadays used in indirect speech to disassociate from a message (like the anchorman from the news).

To Topic: You have to know the context -- always in German, the context is important. The passage from Schillers Don Carlos:

Carlos: "Du sprichst von Zeiten, die vergangen sind. Auch mir hat einst von einem Carl geträumt [...] – O, der Einfall War kindisch, aber göttlich schön! Vorbei Sind diese Träume." –

Marquis:"Träume, Prinz? – So wären Es Träume nur gewesen?"

Es for Zeiten & former ideals and actions of Carlos.

From Schiller's sämmtliche Werke in Einem Bande, Cotta 1834, p 249. the passage in an ancient font:

copy

share|improve this answer

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.