Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Can one have a subordinate clause inside a relative clause?
What I want to write in English is this:

The economic crisis which started in 2007 resulted in mergers and state intervention, which meant the company became 50% state owned.

My first attempt was this:

Die Wirtschaftskrise, die von 2007 fing an, führte zu Fusionen und staatlicher Eingriff, der bedeutete, dass die Geschäft 50% Staatsbesitz wurde.

However, in the second relative clause the finite verb ought to go to the end of the clause, which would result in:

Die Wirtschaftskrise, die von 2007 fing an, führte zu Fusionen und staatlicher Eingriff, der, dass die Geschäft 50% Staatsbesitz wurde, bedeutete.

That looks wrong to me (with my basic command of German).

Is such a construction correct? Is it allowed but frowned upon by right thinking people? Is there a better way of expressing this?

share|improve this question
add comment

2 Answers 2

up vote 4 down vote accepted

This construction is not correct. In a relative clause the verb is at the end, but not if the relative clause contains a subordinate clause that depends on the verb.

Your first attempt, with a few other mistakes corrected:

Die Wirtschaftskrise, die 2007 anfing, führte zu Fusionen und staatlichen Eingriffen, die bedeuteten, dass die Firma zu 50% Staatsbesitz wurde.

share|improve this answer
This is correct, however I would suggest to split the sentence into two parts, why not write: >Die Wirtschaftskrise, die 2007 anfing, führte zu Fusionen und staatlichen Eingriffen; diese bedeuteten, dass die Firma zu 50% Staatsbesitz wurde. –  0x6d64 Aug 3 '11 at 15:58

@0x6d64 I think you're right. Now I reread it, even the original English version is not written very well and should be split. –  Richard Aug 3 '11 at 22:18
add comment

You can also pull the adverbial stuff before the subject

Die 2007 eingetretene Wirtschaftskrise führte zu Fusionen und staatlichen Eingriffen, die bedeuteten, dass das Unternehmen zu 50% in Staatsbesitz überging.

It is also possible to substitute bedeuten

Die 2007 eingetretene Wirtschaftskrise führte zu Fusionen und staatlichen Eingriffen in Folge derer das Unternehmen zu 50% in Staatsbesitz überging.

Die 2007 eingetretene Wirtschaftskrise führte zu Fusionen und staatlichen Eingriffen, wobei das Unternehmen zu 50% verstaatlicht wurde.

share|improve this answer
add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.