Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I never heard Raketenwissenschaft in this context in Germany. Is this a case of anglicism, or are there better suited German synonyms for this expression?

share|improve this question
IMHO Raketenwissenschaft isn't used at all in German. de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luft-_und_Raumfahrttechnik –  starblue Aug 6 '11 at 16:55
just heard that a current variation is "It's not rocket surgery" from ricon cf. english.stackexchange.com/questions/37026/… –  bernd_k Aug 7 '11 at 11:37
What do rocket scientists say when something isn't hard? ;) –  OregonGhost Aug 7 '11 at 13:24
add comment

4 Answers

up vote 14 down vote accepted

I'd probably say

Das ist doch keine Wissenschaft.

or

Das ist doch kein Hexenwerk.

LEO's forums contain a few more suggestions (e.g. here).

I wouldn't use Raketenwissenschaft or rocket science in German except when talking informally to peers of whom I know that they know English well enough.

share|improve this answer
Hexenwerk is what I'd use as well. –  OregonGhost Aug 7 '11 at 13:25

Definitely 'Hexenwerk'. The 'Wissenschaft' one doesn't feel strong enough to be a real synonym for me. –  hheimbuerger Aug 12 '11 at 9:09

First: "Das ist doch keine Wissenschaft" is nowhere near to the vibrations in "no rocket science". "Hexenwerk" is good, but sounds to me very old fashioned and regional - most Germans would go for "Das ist keine Hexerei". –  Zane Mar 14 at 19:38
add comment

In context of scientific problems, I would say:

Das ist kein offenes Forschungsproblem.

In other contexts I would say:

Das ist machbar.

Or even

Das ist kinderleicht.

BTW: I asked for the usage of "That's no rocket science" on EL&U

Good idea! We should focus a bit more on cross-side/language questions to attract some traffic or germans unaware of GL&U from there. –  Hauser Aug 7 '11 at 11:38

"Das ist kein offenes Forschungsproblem" will probably result in a confused stare, followed by laughter after a second or two if they're smart –  herzmeister der welten Aug 12 '11 at 21:08
add comment

I commonly translate that with:

Das ist keine Kernphysik.

or

Dafür braucht man nicht Quantenmechanik studiert zu haben.

Agree. You also hear "Er ist nicht gerade ein Kernphysiker", meaning that somone isn't too smart. Admittedly, that's kind of mean. –  Deve Aug 7 '11 at 13:13
add comment

I would go with

Das ist nicht so kompliziert.

or

Man braucht dafür nicht studiert zu haben.

or

Das ist keine Hexerei.

I've never heard a literal translation of the English idiom.

add comment

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.