Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

I searched for an english term for Durchhalteparole. 4 different online dictionaries (leo, dict.cc,...) - 4 different results

appeal to hold out,rallying call,exhortation to go on,call for perseverance

neither seems to be a common english term with fixed meaning and connotation similar to the german term. But thats not the question worrying me.

3 of 4 english terms just seem to be invented by these online translation services (probably literal machine translation). Rallying call might be the only real known english idiom i found on a smaller translation service, the other imo bad translations are from major services.

So what to do? Is there a known service which gives out only reliable translations, therefore yielding a smaller dictionary and less popular. Maybe backproofed by google ngrams or similar data. If you reverse translate the bad translation (Eng-Ger) funnily you get Durchhalteparole. So seems that these major services actually save these false-positives and spread them out and non native english people use them in a wrong context!? I know we exactly have Q&A for this cases, but hey thats the 21st century, is there really no reliable Ger-Eng dictionary for such standard terms?

on musikk comment. Here is some evidence

probably rallying call matches the meaning and connotation of Durchhalteparole, but i would have to ask on EL&U to be sure. I dont know how these terms can not be machine translated, otherwise there could not be 4 different term for one german fixed term with a fixed connotation. 3 have to be plain false imo

From Duden

Parole, die dazu auffordert, in einer [offensichtlich aussichtslosen] Sache um jeden Preis durchzuhalten

So im asking for translation services here, which at least state what the sources for their translations are (quality) or what the algorithm is. There are similar questions here.

share|improve this question

closed as not a real question by Gigili, RegDwight Aug 15 '11 at 1:27

It's difficult to tell what is being asked here. This question is ambiguous, vague, incomplete, overly broad, or rhetorical and cannot be reasonably answered in its current form. For help clarifying this question so that it can be reopened, visit the help center.If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

@gigili i reformulated the question. imho its not different from questions on asking for german translation or slang websites, iphone german apps we have here...? I really want an answer on this or at least a reliable method to find out the english pendant to a german common term. –  Hauser Aug 15 '11 at 11:07
I don't think this is a fair question until you can provide evidence for your claims. The terms you provided don't really look machine translated to me. –  musiKk Aug 15 '11 at 11:22

@musikk edited some evidence. Do you know the term Durchhalteparole? Can there really be 4 correct translations to a fixed term? imo not –  Hauser Aug 15 '11 at 11:42
I didn't know that particular term. There are many words that have dozens of translations in a dictionary and all may be correct depending on context. Words in different languages often don't map one to one so it's quite natural that this happens. –  musiKk Aug 15 '11 at 11:56

@musikk of course?! But thats not the point here, this is a fixed term, not only a word. Durchhalteparole has a clear political connotation and in the dictionaries i searched only one, not several parellel translations. I can use any of above translations, but then it will not have the fixed connotation of the Duden, but it will literally be a call for perseverance without the connotation of being a hopeless call –  Hauser Aug 15 '11 at 12:08

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.