Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Is there an official rule on whether it's die Email or das Email? I've heard people use both, although more commonly the female form.

share|improve this question

Shouldn't it be called by its full name? I.e. "Die E-Mail-Nachricht"? –  Uwe Keim Dec 1 '11 at 19:00
I personally like "Strom-Post" better than E-Mail ;) –  user1220 Jan 11 '12 at 19:16
What is "das Email"? Das Emaille kenne ich. –  user unknown Jan 13 '12 at 18:51
@user: duden.de/rechtschreibung/Email –  Hendrik Vogt Jan 14 '12 at 12:17
Dass es derart eingedeutscht ist hätte ich nicht gedacht. Ich wander aus ... –  user unknown Jan 14 '12 at 15:59
show 1 more comment

1 Answer

up vote 23 down vote accepted

According to the Duden, both feminine and neuter genders are possible. My personal experience is that indeed most people use die E-Mail in Germany; according to the comments, people tend to say das E-Mail in Austria and Switzerland. Note that the Duden lists the word as E-Mail, not Email (the latter being also a German word for enamel).

share|improve this answer
Yes, in fact I have not heard anyone actually using "das E-Mail". Might have to do with the fact that "Post" is female as well, which "E-Mail" translates into, and "das Email" would be the proper enamel gender, as you pointed out. –  Katharina Nickel Aug 16 '11 at 13:23
I actually know a few people who say das E-Mail. (I also know someone who says die E-Post, which I like very much :-)) –  Hendrik Vogt Aug 16 '11 at 13:28
Personal experience: Our Austrian customers tend to say das E-Mail, just like das Cola. –  OregonGhost Aug 16 '11 at 16:48
Der Brief, die Post, das Schreiben. Man suche es sich aus. Siehe auch die Diskussion Wonach richtet sich das Geschlecht eines Anglizismus? –  user unknown Aug 16 '11 at 20:36
In Switzerland people tend to say "das E-Mail" instead of "die E-Mail". –  Philippe Gerber Aug 18 '11 at 10:03
show 5 more comments

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.