Take the 2-minute tour ×
German Language Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of German wanting to discuss the finer points of the language and translation. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Which translation of "knowledge" would fit into the following sentence?

They have the resources, but do they have the knowledge?

I'm looking for a literal translation, not an idiom or restructuring.

share|improve this question

3 Answers 3

up vote 10 down vote accepted

While I generally prefer German words, I'd actually say this:

Sie haben die Ressourcen, aber haben sie auch das [nötige] Know-how?

At least in my field, both words are not unheard of in this context.

There are alternatives to "Know-how" like Wissen or Kenntnisse, but especially in a business context, Know-how might be more precise.

Erfahrung may also work as a replacement to Know-how, but is not exactly the same.

Edit: According to Duden, the correct spelling is either Know-how or Knowhow. Didn't know that before.

share|improve this answer
+1 for Know-how! –  Takkat Aug 19 '11 at 19:59

+1: Sometimes the best German word is an English loanword. –  Joachim Sauer Aug 21 '11 at 8:29

I would translate it to Kompetenz.

They have the resources, but do they have the knowledge?

Sie haben die Möglichkeit, aber haben sie * die Expertise? * das Fachwissen? (das (technische) Wissen, das Expertenwissen) * die Kompetenz? (copy from 0x6d64) * das Knowhow? (OregonGhost) * die Erfahrung? (s.o.)

Abhängig vom Kontext. Bei Pilzesammlern die einen Korb und ein Messer haben eher Erfahrung, bei Außerirdischen, die ein Weltraumschiff gekapert haben Expertise od. technisches Wissen, bei ambitionierten Heimwerkern oder Autoschraubern Knowhow.

Danke. In diesem Beispiel ist es bei eine Waage zu Hause bauen. –  Tim Aug 21 '11 at 7:44

@Tim Sie haben das Werkzeug, aber haben sie auch das Können? –  Phira Aug 24 '11 at 9:54

'Können' could in this case be interpreted as 'Geschicklichkeit' (that would be my problem :) ) - I would go with the 'Knowhow' or just 'Wissen'. –  user unknown Aug 24 '11 at 14:58

Your Answer

discard

By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.